The potato is one versatile vegetable. This tasty spud is grown in 36 states across the country and is super easy to cook. Take a look at some interesting farm facts about the always-popular potato:
- Potatoes provide more potassium than bananas. They also contain fiber and cancer-fighting antioxidants.
- Seven varieties of potatoes are grown in the United States.
- The country’s top potato producers are Idaho, Washington and Wisconsin.
- Thirty-five percent of the annual potato harvest is turned into frozen french fries, 28 percent is used for fresh potatoes and 13 percent becomes chips and shoestrings.
- One medium potato contains 45 percent of the daily recommended amount of vitamin C.
- In 2011, the U.S. harvested 1,076.7 thousand acres of potatoes.
- In 2010, the U.S. exported a total of 1,626,494 thousand pounds of fresh potatoes and seed.
source: National Potato Council, USDA Census of Agriculture