This sweet treat is perfect on a warm summer day, which is precisely why Ronald Reagan declared July National Ice Cream Month. In fact, the United States is the top ice cream consuming country in the world. Get the scoop on ice cream:
- It takes 12 pounds of milk to make a gallon ice cream.
- It takes about 50 licks to finish the average scoop of ice cream.
- Reagan was not the only president with a sweet tooth. Thomas Jefferson and George Washington were both said to have had ice houses built on their estates so their servants could make ice cream.
- In 2011, the U.S. Produced 1.53 billion gallons of ice cream and similar frozen desserts.
- Many of the ice cream production are family-owned, and the majority have been in business for over 50 years.
- Vanilla remains the most popular flavor, followed by mint chocolate chip and cookies and cream.
- Ice cream is made by simultaneously stirring and freezing milk, sweeteners, flavoring, emulsifiers, stabilizers, and in some case, egg.
- Ice cream isn’t just delicious, it provides protein, riboflavin, calcium and other nutrients.